A Word from the Director: Study Abroad in Haifa

Fall 2017 Newsletter, ISSUE II

It’s the holiday season and it is a very special time here in Haifa!

Hundreds of visitors travel here from all over the country (and sometimes the world) to take part in a special event- the Holiday of the Holidays. It is a local festival that has become a tradition which celebrates diversity and the holidays of the three major religions in Haifa- Hannukah, Christmas and often Eid al-  Fitr or Eid al – Adha.

Whenever I visit the festival and see all the different people who take part in it (children and senior citizens, women and men, of all religions and all backgrounds) it always feel like a little holiday miracle- when people put aside what divides them and join together to celebrate beauty and light.

I’d also like to mention that our CIEE group spent the weekend before Christmas in Nazareth and it was just beautiful! It is probably the best place to visit in Israel if you are looking for a real Christmas-time feel (minus the snow, of course).

This issue will include a review of our trip to Safed written by the wonderful Abby Prince as well as a list of the 10 things every students must know about the CIEE program at the University of Haifa created by our adventurous Anna Spoerre, and finally a short lesson in Arabic and Hebrew (How to say Happy New Year in both languages).

Sincerely yours,

Martha Shtapura-Ifrah

Director, CIEE Haifa

Talk local:

We know you just can’t wait to expand your vocabulary in Hebrew and Arabic, especially with a useful expression such as Happy New Year!

Here’s how you’d say it in Arabic:

سنة جديدة سعيدة – sana jadida sa’eeda

And here’s how you’d say it in Hebrew:

שנה אזרחית טובה- shana ezrahit Tova

From our family to yours:

Happy New Year and Happy Holidays!!!