Woojungwon vs SK Global House: Which dormitory is best for you!

Floriesha B.

This is the blog post you all have been waiting for!! I will provide the pros and cons of living in Woojungwon (우정원) and SK Global House. This semester I live in Woojungwon, where only a few students from CIEE live whereas most students (and other students from different programs) live in SK Global House. Since I live in Woojungwon, I have asked friends, who live in SK Global, to share their experiences to perfectly capture the pros and cons of living in SK. Here’s what I was able to compile:

Woojungwon (우정원)

Pros

• Woojungwon is typically cleaner than SK Global
  • Live alongside domestic/local students
  • Personal refrigerator in the rooms
  • Student Lounges on each floor
  • The self-service kitchen includes a mini convenience store; you can buy snacks, feminine sanitary products, laundry, detergent, ramen, etc.
  • The building has a study room and seminar room where you can do homework, study, or have group meetings. Also, there is a workout room with basic workout gear and machines.
  • Woojungwon is quieter than SK Global
  • There is a shuttle bus stop right in front of Woojungwon
  • Get your own individual RA (Resident Assistance) who serves as a resource to students to assist when needed.

Cons

• Woojungwon has a curfew from 2 am - 5 am
  • The north gate closes at 12 am
  • Woojungwon is on a hill; to walk to Woojungwon from the main campus or the north gate requires hiking up a lot of hills :(

SK Global House

Pros

• Close to the KLI building and buildings where most international and exchange students have class 
  • Very close to restaurants and good eats including; Standby Kitchen, Lords Sandwich, 이화당제과(a local bakery), 딸기골, and so many more places.
  • There is a central/popular bus stop near SK Global 
  • Within the building of SK, there are a few restaurants and places including an E-mart, Paik Coffee, and a new cafeteria!
  • There is no curfew
  • Single rooms are available in SK Global (but they are super hard to get!)

Cons

• Getting housing is competitive.
  • There is no refrigerator in the room, there are only community-shared refrigerator
  • There isn't a shuttle bus stop near SK.
  •  

Hopefully, this will help with your decision in choosing between Woojungwon and SK Global House. Personally, I quite enjoy my experience living in Woojungwon, it only gets a bit challenging knowing that I have to hike to my room but other than that, I enjoy my dorm experience being an international student at Yonsei University. Thanks for reading!!

Floriesha <3