Will Studying Abroad Help My Career?

By: Madeline Ahlberg

Choosing to study abroad as a STEM major wasn't easy. As junior year approached, the remaining courses on my academic plan were mostly specialized labs. However I did not want this to change my decision, so I made sure to put aside an open semester for electives, acknowledging the uncertainty of future classes during my time abroad. What I soon noticed was that when I started to share my plan of studying in Spain, the recurring response was: "but aren't you pre-med?"

Whoever said both couldn't coexist? When we typically think of the coursework and prerequisites for medical school, traveling and liberal arts classes don't usually come to mind. However, what if these experiences actually contribute to molding a well-rounded, and more qualified applicant, not just for medical school but for any job or future career? Not only do they set you apart from the crowd, but the invaluable lessons and skills gained from studying abroad transcend into your career and personal growth. 

In my case, having more proficiency in Spanish will hopefully expand my ability to connect with patients from various backgrounds. Immersing myself in different foreign cultures also exposed me to a broader spectrum of global socio-economic realities, offering perspectives that extend beyond my own familiarities. It showed me new traditions, norms, and practices that ultimately enrich understanding of the world. 

Studying abroad will help your career because you can gain networking opportunities and possible future job opportunities. It's no coincidence that well-rounded individuals tend to have more characteristics of creativity and innovation. Employers know that, and this individuality will help you stand out within job applications. Not to mention that some of the academic best enrichment can only be found in certain areas in the world. The best equipped learning environment for your academic area of interest will have the best opportunities for learning and growth where you might not have had access to the same level of materials at home. I believe the UK for example, offers some of the most highly ranked psychology programs in the world! These ties may open doors to partnerships, career opportunities, and mentoring. Traveling abroad also improves your employability because it shows potential employers that you are flexible and culturally competent. Ultimately living abroad allows you to gain firsthand knowledge of the cultural and societal influences that define your subject, which promotes sensitivity and deeper understanding. 

I won't sugarcoat it—squeezing a semester of studying abroad into my schedule definitely took hard work. It required extra summer classes and a heavier course load during my regular semesters to create that window of opportunity. Yet, every ounce of effort was worth it. The experience of studying abroad is not only attainable but is extremely meaningful.

Read more: How to Put Study Abroad on Your Resume: 4 Steps