What a weekend in Seoul looks like: CIEE Scavenger Hunt and Gyeongbokgung Palace

Joy M.

CIEE Scavenger Hunt

A week out of Quarantine, CIEE sent groups of students out on a Scavenger hunt around Seoul. Our first stop: Seochon Village, located west of Gyeongbokgung Palace (”Seo” means west and “Chon” means village). Seochon Village is well-known as the birthplace of King Sejong! My group stopped at a local restaurant for Ginseng Chicken Soup at our first stop.

Photo for blog post What a weekend in Seoul looks like: CIEE Scavenger Hunt and Gyeongbokgung Palace

Growing up, boiled chicken soup has always been a comfort meal. The first meal of our adventure had set the tone for the rest of the day: it was going to be fulfilling and enjoyable!

Walking along the borders of Gyeongbokgung Palace, we made our way to Bukchon Hanok Village. Humorously, it was a strenuous journey. (Pro-tip: do not make a wrong turn. Seoul is hilly. You will end up climbing 5 flights of stairs to get to your destination.)

Bukchon Hanok Village was mesmerizing. We walked around and admired the architecture of each gate, wall, and home. Pictures do not do justice to how articulate each design of the homes were.

Dressing up in Hanboks to visit Gyeongbokgung Palace

For 3 hours, my group and I explored all parts of the charming Gyeongbokgung Palace. We had the most wholesome interaction while admiring another group of girls dressed in Hanboks. Marveling from afar, we quietly complimented their Hanboks' pastel colors and flower embroidery, only to notice that they also loved our bright color-popping skirts. It was not until our groups passed each other that we decided to turn around and shoot each other fingers hearts and yell, "YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!"

In just 2 days, I toured some of Korea's most famous historical spots. I am very thankful to CIEE for this opportunity to get familiar with the metro system while also visiting places on my bucket list.

Thank you for following my journey in South Korea.