A Weekend of Discovery and Delight: Exploring Korean Cinema and Cuisine

Truc H.

This past weekend was a whirlwind of cultural immersion and culinary delights that left me with a newfound appreciation for Korean artistry and cuisine. From a captivating cinematic experience to indulging in mouthwatering street food, every moment was a celebration of Korean culture and hospitality.

Saturday: A Cinematic Journey

On Saturday, I went to CGV to watch the trending movie, Exhuma (파묘). Despite the absence of English subtitles, I was eager to immerse myself in Korean-style cinema and went along with a friend. Armed with my basic knowledge of Korean, I found myself navigating through the movie, interpreting scenes and dialogues with excitement and curiosity.

As the plot unfolded, I discovered that the four main characters were based on real-life figures, shedding light on Korean history and culture in a profound way. The experience left me captivated and inspired, sparking a newfound interest in delving deeper into Korean history and cinema.

Sunday: A Gastronomic Adventure

Sunday greeted us with beautiful weather, perfect for exploring the vibrant streets of Mangwon Market with my Seoulmate. Our first stop was at a stall offering dakgangjeong (ë‹­ê°•ì •), crispy pieces of chicken drenched in flavorful sauces. Each bite was a burst of savory goodness, setting the tone for the culinary adventure that awaited us.

Next up was tteokbokki and odeng, my go-to Korean mid-day snack. The spicy and chewy tteokbokki paired perfectly with the comforting warmth of odeng, creating a symphony of flavors that danced on my palate.

But the ultimate indulgence came in the form of ggul-hotteok, a sweet pancake filled with honey and nuts, encased in a crispy layer of freshly-made dough. It was a heavenly treat that satisfied my sweet tooth and left me craving for more.

A Tranquil Evening at Yeouido Hangang Park

As the sun began to set, we made our way to Yeouido Hangang Park for a tranquil picnic by the river. With the serene ambiance and breathtaking views, it was the perfect setting to unwind and reflect on the weekend's adventures.

I savored every moment, snacking on the ggul-tteok from Mangwon Market and basking in the warmth of the setting sun. As I looked back on the weekend's experiences, I couldn't help but feel grateful for the opportunity to immerse myself in Korean culture and cuisine.