Week Three: Isimila Stone Age Site

Harry L.

This past weekend, our students headed over to Isimila Stone Age site, as one of their weekend excursions out of Iringa. The program organizes (and pays!) for these excursions, which give our students the opportunity to see some the beauty in the area around Iringa.

Isimila is one of the most important Stone Age archeological sites in existence. Tools found here have been dated to between 60,000 and 100,000 years ago, which is incredible! After viewing some of the tools in the museum, we went for a hike in the canyon, where stone pillars have been carved out of the rock through natural erosion. The color of the rock is a beautiful reddish-orange hue. We visited in the early evening, when the setting sun made the rocks almost glow in the light.

We brought along our CIEE dogs too, which was an opportunity for some intercultural learning. Many of the Tanzanians we meet are frightened of dogs, because most of the dogs here are semi-feral. A bite from one of them can lead to rabies or infection. As we went on our hike, we struck up conversations with the people around us to explain why we have dogs as pets and that they’re quite friendly once they know you!

This week, we’re headed off to a basket-weaving lesson, which is a major export product from the districts surround Iringa. Pictures to follow next week!