Week #2 in Shanghai!

Alfonso Q.

Week Two

(6/24-6/30)

Internship first Impressions:

Another week completed, but somehow it feels like it's been longer than a week! By now I've met all the founders at the company I'm interning at. I'm basically interning at a building full of startups, and companies such as mine that help and invest in other startups. My bosses are pretty cool, they seem pretty smart and passionate about what they do which I like because I feel like there's a lot to learn just by being around them. Plus, it's located near downtown near a lot of cool places so it kinda motivates me to go to work everyday knowing that after I finish my  work I can explore the city some more.

Also, I honestly like my coworkers/fellow interns. One of them is my classmate from UCSD I mentioned before, and the rest I met here in Shanghai, and although we've only known each other a brief while, we get along surprisingly well, super glad I met them.

Missing Home Yet?

I'm not sure if I miss San Diego yet honestly. Actually, I'm not sure if I just miss the feeling of being a tourist instead lol. Things are definitely different, and recently I do miss some Mexican food from back in san Diego, but I think overall it's been a good time. I got lost for the first time on the subway(I knew it was bound to happen), because I wanted to meet up with a friend that I met at UCSD who's from Shanghai. But so far, life in Shanghai seems fast paced-everyone's always on the way to do something, and there's A LOT more people than in San Diego so it just feels a lot more busier. In my opinion, the main difference so far is the language & culture. I feel that because I'm not fluent in Mandarin, nor do I fully understand Chinese culture, things just seem more random and chaotic than what I'm used to back home. It's early in the program though, so I guess it's part of the process, I'm still finding order in what sometimes feels like chaos, and learning more about the culture, which I think is really interesting. I'm still also meeting lots of people though, and I'm excited about continuing to explore the city and finding the next good place to eat at!