Weather's Growing Pains: Adjusting to Spring!

Kyla D.

Imagine:

You've been plagued by endless amounts of treacherous rainstorms that have trapped you inside of your room. The cold, dark, passing winter storm has been relentless and unch-

....Okay.  I'm being a little dramatic. Hello everyone! My name is Kyla! For a bit of backstory (and important context for this blog post). If you didn't know, I am originally from Ghana, and lived there before starting university. Saying that coming back to the United States to Connecticut for school was a huge adjustment is an understatement to say the least. One of things that I really struggled to adjust to was the weather. From generally warm, sunny, humid weather I was suddenly thrust into cold and perpetual rainy weather, when January came around. Furthermore, Connecticut is very persistent, with its spring showers only relenting nearing the end of April.

Now don't get me wrong, Connecticut can be really beautiful especially during the fall, as the state is notable for it's beautiful fall foliage, with orange, yellow, and red leaves peppering it's various forest hills and mountains. However, another thing that is  is another relatively difficult thing to navigate, is that where I live in Connecticut it's a really car-driven (ha) city. It's much harder to find places to walk around and sight-see as you are generally in need a car to move around. Of course there are busses and trains, but those are also a tad far to reach.  

Luckily, South Korea has been more forgiving in a variety of ways. As someone who really loves to walk around and just look around at nothing specifically, on a day where you have nothing to do and the weather is just right, Seoul is the tight place to to be! 

There are so many places that you can go to enjoy the scenery. Namely, at this time the spring foliage and cherry blossom season, has been an incredibly beautiful sight to see that tourists from around the world come to Seoul just to visit! Last weekend, I had the opportunity to go to 서울숲, also known as Seoul Forest Park. As stated on their website Seoul Forest Park, opened in 2005 is located between Jungnangcheon Stream and Hangang River. It features the Seoul Forest Culture & Art Park, the Eco Forest that features rows of cherry blossoms with Eungbongsan Mountain in the background! There is also a Deer Coral where you can pay to feed some Deer (at first I wasn't actually sure if there was deer, but turns out there was! I think it was closed though when I went).

Even nearby there are many things to do! Right net to Seoul Forest Park, is the new location for SM Entertainment, that features right next to it the D Museum, a unique art exhibit which you can buy tickets to tour, and the Under Stand Avenue, a valley shaped shopping mall with a bunch of restaurants and clothing stores. Furthermore, If you're in the mood to get a little bougie, Gangnam is just across Hangpark, so you can also take some time to look to tour Gangnam district as well. The day to Seoul Forest Park, it was packed; there were couples outside enjoying the nice weather, kids playing with their families, and photographers taking advantage of the sceneries to take wonderful photos. Side bar, there are many places to take pictures, with one of the most being an incredibly large park-bench that you can climb above and sit on. The energy was magnetic, and I too took advantage, which you can view above!

All in all, it was a beautiful day, and if you are someone loves casual sight seeing, Seoul is the place for you to be! Hurry up, don'y wait, Seoul's waiting for you right here!

An assortment of flowers! Orange flowers are the majority and are in the centre of the arrangement. Bellow are red and pink, and above are yellow.