Wandering Gives for the Best Journeys

Brennda M.

Don't Always Stick to Your List!

When researching where to go in Korea my friends and I created lists of all the places we wanted to go and all the cafes we wanted to explore. But I found that some of my fondest memories of the semester so far were days when I just set out on a walk without a destination. By doing this you find local places that you would have missed if you didn't explore. One of my favorite places we found was a ramen restaurant run by an elderly woman. Although we had very simple dishes like tteok-ramen and kimbap it felt very homey and was delicious. Although there may be certain districts you want to visit like Myeongdong. One of the best ways to experience these areas is to turn off Naver and Kakao Maps and just walk around. As I like to call it getting lost with a purpose! Just explore and pop into any shops, cafes, and or restaurants that grab your attention. This is especially great to do in your first few days in Seoul. I did it around the area near my dorm. While waiting for Daiso to open on our first day in Seoul and just walked around the area near my dorm for about 2 hours. I accidentally stumbled upon a Science Museum, a hiking trail, many cafes, and a shopping center. Although these places were all closed, I was able to make note of them and visit them later in the week. 

Exploring Game: 

A game I saw other foreigners in Seoul play on social media that allowed them to explore a random area in Seoul to explore.

The rules of the game are very simple: 

1: Head to your nearest station/bus stop 

2: Flip a coin to decide whether to head east or west 

3: Roll a Die/Dice to decide the number of stops to take 

4: Explore Away