The Ultimate Guide to Studying Abroad in Estonia

A geographically small country situated between Finland and Latvia, Estonia’s rich culture and proud history are anything but trivial.  

With astonishing nature, cities that look straight out of medieval fairy tales, and delicious Nordic fusion cuisine, an Estonia study abroad program will take you on an adventure of a lifetime.  

If studying abroad in this epic country piques your interest, dig into this ultimate guide to studying abroad in Estonia! 

Is Estonia a Good Place to Study Abroad?  

In addition to a fun exploration of this unique country, Estonia’s higher ed is top-notch. The Education and Youth Board of Estonia, a government arm of the Ministry of Education and Research, offers all people access to Estonia’s high-quality and modern educational opportunities. So, it’s no wonder it’s a great study abroad choice.  

There is a mountain of reasons why you should study abroad in Estonia, but here are our four favorites.  

Reason #1: The language barrier won’t be a problem in Estonia.   

There are hundreds of courses you can dive into while studying at Estonian institutions, and each program is taught in English, so language barriers and miscommunications won’t be an issue here. 

Estonian universities offer a ton of different disciplines from agriculture, arts, aviation, and business to engineering, law, and science.  

While all your classes will be delivered in English and a large number of citizens speak the language, many locals speak a variety of languages, including Estonian, Russian, Finnish, and Swedish, so there will be plenty of opportunities to experience living in a non-English speaking country and be among those who speak another language.  

tallinn study abroad student overlooking city

Reason #2: Estonia’s modern society makes navigating the country simple.  

Estonia – considered an e-societyis known as one of the world’s most advanced digital societies.  

When the Republic of Estonia became an independent entity, it found itself with limited technology systems and a lack of resources. So, Estonia’s leadership made it their mission to build a new technology infrastructure to catch up with their more digitally advanced counterparts. And have now surpassed many of them!  

Today, Estonia is home to a robust technology system, with accessibility and efficiency at the forefront. The country boasts electronic ID cards, e-voting, e-health, e-school, e-parking, e-banking, and so much more. Before you visit, you can even get briefings to learn more about Estonia’s digitization and e-solutions. It’s seriously like living in the future. 

It’s no surprise then that Estonia is now a leader in cyber security and home to the NATO Cooperative Cyber Defense Center of Excellence and the EU IT Agency. (So, if that aligns with your academic passions or career aspirations, look no further.) 

Estonia’s e-society makes traveling easier and more accessible so you can explore this advanced and innovative approach to living firsthand.  

Reason #3: You will have the chance to explore Estonia’s eye-catching attractions. 

As technologically advanced as Estonia is, it is also home to many beautiful natural sites and untouched landscapes, partly thanks to the country’s low population. In fact, 75% of the country is covered by forests and bogs making hiking, park visits, birdwatching, bicycle tours, and canoeing perfect activities.  

Magnificent, must-see natural sites include:  

• Palmse Nunnery Boulders 
  • Vällämagi recreation area  
  • Nõmmeveski waterfall  
  • Viljandi Castle Park 
  • Tudu bog lake and forest hut 
  • Loodi nature park and sand denudation 
  • Lake Ruhijärv 
  • Tellingumäe viewing tower  

Not to mention, Estonia’s coastline lies on the Baltic Sea and the Gulf of Finland, so there are miles of shoreline to explore, too.  

Estonia also boasts more than 200 museums, including: 

• KUMU Art Museum 
  • Seaplane Harbour 
  • Estonian National Museum 
  • AHHAA Science Center 
  • Audru Museum 
  • Narva Museum Art Gallery 
  • The Soviet-Era Sillamäe  

Make sure to check out Tallinn Old Town, one of the best-preserved medieval towns in Europe. Built in the Middle Ages by German merchants, this enchanting town will bring you right back to another time in history with its still-standing city walls, towers, winding cobblestone streets, merchant houses, medieval churches, and more.  

Trust us when we say there’s so much to discover in Estonia  

church in tallinn estonia

Reason #4: Estonia is a startup hot spot. 

What happens when a country takes on nationwide e-solutions? A thriving start-up culture. Due to digital automation and paperless, hassle-free e-taxation, it takes under three hours to formally start a company in Estonia. Yes, really. 

In fact, since 2013, more than 1,300 start-up companies have, well, started up. And thanks to our Estonia study abroad program, you can be part of the bustling business hubs, gain a better understanding of European business practices, customs, and more.  

Is Estonia Safe? 

Definitely. Estonia is considered a generally safe country and is located near Finland, Sweden, and Norway – countries that consistently rank as some of the safest locations in the world. While crime is relatively low, it’s best to take normal safety precautions, as you would in the U.S., while traveling throughout Estonia.  

To be extra vigilant, avoid parks and poorly lit streets after dark, keep personal items on your person, and stick with a trusted group of friends. But rest assured that traveling to Estonia is generally safe.  

No matter what, we take safety very seriously. In addition to the on-site staff, you will get to know and have access to, CIEE offers 24/7 emergency support for all students. With CIEE, you’re traveling with support always within reach. 

Where to Study in Estonia?  

When it comes to choosing an Estonia study abroad program, look no further than the country’s capital and largest city, Tallinn.  

Tallinn 

A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Tallinn is often described as a wonderful mix of old and new. From its historic city center straight out of the Middle Ages to its thriving and modern business and tech scene, it can feel like you’re traveling through time. Rest assured, though, this medieval and modern blend is completely captivating. One minute you’re exploring a 13th-century castle, the next you’re learning about the city’s booming startup culture.  

When you study abroad in Tallinn, you’ll have an exceptional opportunity to learn about the history of Estonia and get a firsthand feel for its culture with frequent concerts, festivals, and exhibitions. Add to that, visits to comfortable cafés, tours of beautiful cathedrals, visits to hilltop castles, and you’re in for the study abroad adventure of a lifetime! 

As you can imagine, you’ll never run out of things to do in Tallinn.  

downtown tallinn estonia famous landmark

How to Study Abroad in Estonia 

Once you’ve chosen where to study abroad – and we hope you choose Estonia – you must consider several factors: 

• Length of study abroad program 
  • GPA requirements 
  • Credit requirement 
  • Disciplines/courses of interest  
  • Budget  

Make sure to discuss your options with your family and an academic advisor, and if an Estonia study abroad program aligns with these five factors, you’re all set to apply! We’re here to help along the way, too. Also, don’t forget to look into study abroad scholarships and grants when considering your budget

Exploring the small country of Estonia promises big adventures – don’t overlook this unique and fascinating location when exploring European study abroad programs! Estonia is not to be missed.