Is Study Abroad the Key to a Successful Career?

Can it really make my resume stand out from the pack? Will I come away with marketable skills I wouldn’t have learned on campus? YES, YES, and YES. Study abroad can have a HUGE impact on your future. Here’s why …

THE HARD FACTS ON SOFT SKILLS

Leadership. Critical thinking. Problem solving. These “soft-skills” are among the most sought-after attributes in today’s job market. And it just so happens, study abroad dials them up! You may not even be aware it’s happening, but as you settle into a new country and learn to navigate foreign customs, laws, transactions, mores, and lifestyles, you’ll be building invaluable life-long professional skills.

YOU SAY POTATO, I SAY …

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you must have noticed the world is growing more diverse than ever. Not everyone sees the value in diversity, but you will. In fact, you’ll embrace it because study abroad taught you that with diversity comes new perspectives, concepts, and ways of doing things. Translation? Million-dollar business ideas. 

DINERO. L’ARGENT. PENÍZE.

It doesn’t matter what language you speak. Money is money. And studies show, students who study abroad earn higher salaries right out of the graduation gate than those who don’t. They’re also more likely to get a job within six months of graduation, more likely to get into the graduate school of their choice, and more likely to be satisfied with their job. *

*http://studyabroad.ucmerced.edu/study-abroad-statistics/statistics-study-abroad