St. Petersburg Academic Highlights

How does a study abroad endeavor differ from a touristic adventure? In addition to the opportunity for language advancement, studying at CIEE allow students to examine different aspects of culture, socio-political life, and history of the foreign country through a variety of site-specific courses, discussions, open lectures, and local field trips to thematic museums and expositions.

Introducing New CIEE Course
Intercultural Leadership and Communication (Russian Area Studies Program)

The revised three-credit ICL course returns the intercultural learning component to the CIEE Saint Petersburg academic curriculum by engaging students in in-depth analysis of contemporary intercultural communication theories and practices. Throughout the course, students increase their cultural self-awareness and develop personal leadership skills that are geared to help them become successful leaders in an interdependent world.

Teaching Faculty Highlight

Prof. Grigory Yarygin, SPSU School of International Relations

Prof. Yarygin has joined the CIEE teaching faculty this semester as the instructor of Contemporary Russian Politics and Governance course. Having taught at Saint Petersburg State University since 2007, Yarygin largely focused his research on the electoral processes of the U.S. and Canada, and on the environmental safety and compliance. A member of The ISA (The International Studies Association) and an author of more than 40 publications in his field of expertise, Grigory Yarygin is an excellent addition to the CIEE Saint Petersburg teaching faculty, who brings his professionalism and enthusiasm to the classroom.

GUEST LECTURES DISCUSSING THE SOCIAL MEDIA ROLE IN POLITICAL MOBILIZATION

SPSU School of Political Science Professor Alexander Sherstobitov presented his research on the role of network discussion in the dynamics of ethno-political conflicts in Russia. The research focused on the activity of both pro-state and oppositional political groups during the electoral cycle of 2011-2012. According to Sherstobitov, despite popular beliefs, social media rarely becomes a tool for real-life political organizing in Russia.

Albert J. Weatherhead III Professor at Harvard University Gary King in his recent study of the ways the Chinese government fabricates posts on the Internet, has demonstrated that in China the social media networking has a direct impact on off-line political behavior. Professor King discussed the rationale behind 448 million social media comments a year, which are fabricated by government employees.

Photo for blog post St. Petersburg Academic Highlights

Left: CIEE Discussion clubs focused on the concept of global village and women’s role in politics

Right: CIEE ‘Comparative Studies: U.S.–Russia’ students during field trip to Museum of Political History

Left: Harvard University Professor King’s guest lecture was attended by CIEE students and teaching faculty

Right: CIEE ‘Russian Fairytales’ students at a glass plates painting  master-class