Spring in Korea

Lauren H.

Since the start of the pandemic, it feels like I haven’t felt spring in a long time. Being in quarantine and online school for over 2 years there was never much reason for me to go outside and enjoy the season. My days blurred together, I would wake up late, go to my classes, then go to bed again in a continuous cycle. I intentionally chose to study in Korea during the springtime so I can enjoy the season I missed for such a long time.

My home school, the University of Washington, is known for their cherry blossoms on campus. Since starting college in 2019, I haven’t experienced the cherry blossoms. I was so excited to come here because I knew they would be everywhere. 

Cherry blossoms at the University of Washington

After a cold winter, springtime, the blooming of the flowers, and cherry blossoms make it feel like the world is turning again. When I went out to walk around the air felt like a comforting blanket. The streets were bustling, and street performers lined the streets. Studying abroad during a pandemic worried me because I wasn’t sure what opportunities I would be allowed due to some of the restrictions. Whether it would be the same as the videos I had seen on YouTube as I prepared to come here.

Although we are still in a pandemic, it feels like life is returning to normal and we can finally enjoy the spring.