A Spring Day in Gangneung

Deanna C.

I remember when the music video for Spring Day by BTS was officially released. The soft, feel-good vibes of the song and the bright colors of the music video quickly made it a favorite for me. Jimin had pink hair, the product was a cinematic masterpiece, and life was good. Never did I imagine I’d have the chance to visit the iconic bus stop from the “You Never Walk Alone” album cover, the same one the boys themselves were sitting at when they took their pictures!

We’d decided some weeks in advance that we wanted to visit Gangneung, a coastal city about a two hour bus ride outside of Seoul. It was chilly when we went, so we definitely didn’t get in the water! But we still had a really good time!

The plan was to spend the day there, so we started by finding somewhere to eat. We were lucky enough to find a really precious little cafe to eat in, with wonderful views of the city. After that, we took a bus to the coast! Walking around the vast beachy area and taking a whole lot of pictures.

Eventually we made it to our primary destination, the legendary bus stop that sported the cover of an album many had sitting at home on their shelves. The many signs and decent gaggle of tourists around the area let us know that we were in the right place.

After waiting in line and figuring out the photos we wanted to take, we finally got to go up one by one before taking a group photo!

Photo for blog post A Spring Day in Gangneung

After getting our pictures and walking around the beach, we stopped at a cafe, where I tried honey cake for the first time!

We then decided to search for our secondary destination here, which was the location of an iconic scene from the popular K-Drama, Goblin! Right across from this area, was a cute place where you could eat really good gelato, create a small sketch, and rent a scarf and flowers to recreate the scene from Goblin with someone!

After some of us took photos, we decided to find a place to eat dinner. Which proved to be quite the task. After lots of walking, some frustration, and many a stranger trying to help us out, we finally found a place to eat that worked for everyone.

With a meal finally in our stomachs, we headed home afterwards (with a few difficulties, long bus-rides, and a bit of chaos in between). It was a day filled with fun, photos, and lots of shenanigans. Whether you’re a fan of BTS or not, you should definitely visit this lovely little city by the coast!