Spring 2018 1st newsletter

Language + Culture

Haddou

Salaam from Rabat! Today marks three weeks since I landed in Morocco. It still amazes me how at home I already feel here. In the first two weeks, we went through orientation and intensive Darija classes. Five long hours spent learning a new language was tough but I think we’d all agree it definitely comes in handy. Our professor, Haddou, made sure we had tons of opportunities to practice Darija inside and outside the classroom. He once sent us on a mission to interview locals while we visited the Chellah, the Kasbah and of course, the great Hassan Tower in Rabat. 

Photo for blog post Spring 2018 1st newsletter

Last week we went on our first excursion to the city of Meknes. On our way, we visited the Roman ruins of Volubilis, a UNESCO world heritage site. We spent a couple hours wondering and learning about its rich history from a local tour guide. I was amazed at how well preserved is to this day. Our next stop was Moulay Idriss, a tiny hillside town just outside of Meknes. It's a town surrounded by beautiful sloping hills rich in character and history. The winding streets are so narrow that locals use donkeys to carry goods up to their houses. In Meknes, we toured the palace created by King Moulay Ismail and parts of the medina. The central square was packed with tourists, vendors, and snake charmers. Many of us stayed overnight in Meknes then returned home by train the next day.