Rock Music and Techno Scene Next to Leganés Campus

Engineering + Society

Eero Jesurun

Leganés is not only known as a popular university town in Madrid for Engineering students but also has a fantastic reputation for its street terraces, gastro bars and a rocking music scene. The Universidad Carlos III Leganes campus is located within twenty minutes by train south of Madrid's city center, offering a lot of Spanish life for students after class has finished.

After the Covid lockdown was lifted, electronica, techno raves and hard rock music festivals take place again all year round. Many locals in Madrid flock to the old bull ring of Leganés that is now called La Nueva Cubierta de Leganés. Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, Cosmosoul, the Scorpions, DJ Afrojack, DJ Hardwell, and others have all performed here, making Leganés a hot spot for rocking music and techno raves.

In fact, one of the most popular streets in Leganés is named after AC/DC in honor of the Australian metal rock band. The brothers Young and their band members visited Leganés to inaugurate the street. The street sign was frequently stolen until the town's mayor decided to paint it on the wall instead of replacing the sign repeatedly. There is also a street in Leganés named after the heavy metal rock band the Scorpions.

Students at the Leganés are only ten minutes walking from the biggest indoor shopping center of Madrid, called Parquesur, with fashion shops, supermarkets restaurants, cinemas, and cafes. There is a train every eight minutes going to the Atocha train station (Madrid downtown) from Leganes train station next to the university campus, which makes life in Spain´s capital easy to reach.