Ría Lagartos and Holbox - Yucatan Study Tour

FALL '19 BLOCK I - RÍA LAGARTOS AND HOLBOX

Ría Lagartos (also called Ría Lagartos Reserve Natural Park) is the name of an estuary within a protected environmental reserve, located on the northern coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, within the state of the same name in Mexico. It is a body of semi-enclosed water, connected to the Gulf of Mexico in its western part, which has fresh water coming from springs and outcrops of the peninsular water table. In any case, its biodiversity, characterized by abundant mangroves and a very wide marine fauna (birds, reptiles and fish), is considered of extraordinary richness.

Holbox is an island located in the north of the Yucatan Peninsula, in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo. It forms part of the Yum Balam nature reserve and is separated from the mainland by the Yalahau lagoon, home to flamingos and pelicans. The island is located between the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico, with waters full of marine flora and fauna, including sea turtles. Between the most outstanding points of the island, the tranquil town of Holbox and the beach of Punta Coco are included.

FREE TIME SUGGESTIONS 

Walk around the locations, explore the surroundings, go to the beach buy some souvenirs