Returning Home? Things to Expect

Liberal Arts

Sofia S.

Studying abroad can be challenging, and leaving your home is hard! Despite the hardships, through those experiences you find love for a new place and a new place to call home. When I first studied abroad at 17 years old in Seville, the first month I cried my eyes out. I did not know how to communicate effectively and I missed fall in Maine. By the end of my year there, I was crying even harder when it hit me that I would be leaving my new home. Through my time abroad I made so many new friends, family, and memories that really were glued in my mind. Building a life from the bottom up is really hard, and once you have done it and have to leave your new community, it can feel like it is all being crumbled down. It's a really weird thing to experience. Some things to expect coming home are: 

1) Reverse culture shock: this is totally a thing! I felt so weird being back in the USA, would say gracias to people and thought things looked weird. 

2) Cherish your memories, but don't get hung up on always wanting to go back: When I first came home from Spain, I sent myself into a full 3-month spiral of sadness wishing I was back there. I realized quickly this was not sustainable. I realized I am allowed to cherish and reminisce in memories, but I needed to stay grounded and appreciate my surroundings and experiences for what they were. 

3) Be patient with yourself: coming back, sometimes it can be weird to see your friends and you might feel out of place or like you missed stuff. This is totally normal and it is OKAY to let yourself feel those things, but remember your friends love you and sometimes it takes time to get caught back up in the swing of things! That is just part of going abroad. 

4) Talk to people abroad! Just because you are home, does not mean you can not talk to your friends you made abroad. Keep up with them, plan trips, they are now apart of your life forever!

5) Know you can always go back! You can always return to your new home, and keeping this in mind is key in appreciating where you are when you return from your study abroad home. 

Be easy on yourself and realize that studying abroad is hard there AND coming home!

Chek out the top 7 benefits of studying abroad with CIEE!