The People of Botswana

Zeren C.

When I first got to Botswana, the one thing I was very nervous about was making friends both on and off campus because I wasn't sure how the people here would view me, especially being an outsider and a minority. The first week I got here, I was gaining a lot of attention and getting many stares, however, I later came to realize that this happens because people are genuinely interested in you and that is their way of admiring someone. Within the second week, I was already slowly making friends and it would happen so spontaneously and naturally. The people here are genuine in getting to know you and even if I am just walking outside by myself people will wave at me or come up to me or even sit next to me and start a conversation. This happens to me not only on campus, but even when I am out and about. I myself, am a very social person and I love that I can be myself over here and just walk up to people and converse with them as if we have been friends for years. In the US, this is very rare and the people are definitely not as friendly because everyone is so used to minding their own business. I was genuinely shocked when I first arrived because I really wasn't expecting this much kindness and openness from the people because we aren't used to this much affectionate and warm behavior back home in the States. 

Currently, I am two months into my program and I already have one group of friends with which I will spend hours training almost every other day. I practice Brazilian Jiu-jitsu back home, therefore, the first thing I looked for was a gym in which I could get some training sessions in. I am the only woman in the gym, however, I have not at all felt awkward about this situation because everyone at the gym treats me like a sister. I am so close with all of my training partners and we generally treat each other like family in the martial arts world. I also have a group of school friends that I just met spontaneously in the cafeteria. One of the girls just ran up to me and asked to take a picture with me and the next second at least 6 other people joined the photo and that's how a beautiful friendship story starts. Now from time to time, we will meet up in the cafeteria in order to catch up and just relax. I also have another group of friends with which I will spend my whole weekend with. We generally go out to drink, or we'll go partying after a long week of work and classes. The minute I was introduced to the group, it was as if I've been friends with them for my whole life and there was this instant connection and genuine friendship between myself and each individual person. I love my friends so much that I know for a fact that this will not be my last visit to Botswana because I am making lifelong friendships that are too important for me to just forget.