Packing tips for London

Claire B.

Packing for studying abroad can be one of the most stressful parts of preparing for your trip. To make it a little easier, here are some important things to remember when packing for your trip to London

Wall Adapter

There are different outlets in London than there are back in the US so make sure you bring an adapter so you can charge your devices. There are plenty of options available on amazon or at many technology stores. I would also suggest looking into some sort of power converter because the electricity is a lot more intense than what we are used to back in America. 

Umbrella and Raincoat

London can be very rainy so make sure not to forget your rain gear when packing. It's always best to keep an umbrella in your backpack just in case of unexpected rain showers. 

Good Walking Shoes

You are going to be doing a lot of walking while you're abroad so many sure you bring shoes that you feel comfortable walking in for long periods of time. I think I averaged around 17,000 steps a day while I was abroad so safe to say you'll be moving a lot. You don’t need to bring many shoes but a good pair of walking shoes is a must. 

Read More: Studying abroad in London: Things I wish I Knew!

A Wallet with a Clip 

Unfortunately pick-pocketing is very common in London, so I got a wallet that I could clip to the inside of any of my bags so it would be more difficult to grab. I’m not sure if there's any merit to this, but it made me feel a little more comfortable. 

General packing tips

Try not to overpack. I know it's hard to not overpack, especially when you are traveling to a new place for a long period of time. But you need to keep in mind that you will be buying stuff while you're abroad, so you need to keep the room in your suitcase. A big issue with many of my friends when leaving was bringing home all of the things we got while still trying to stay under the weight limit. 

CHECK OUT HOW TO PACK FOR A SEMESTER IN LONDON >