Our Adventures at CIEE

CIEE Kyoto

This month's AMJ summer students activity.

This month, we had the pleasure of welcoming AMJ students to CIEE Kyoto.

One highlight was our Zazen meditation session at Tofukuji Shorinji.

Have you ever tried Zazen?

Even for Japanese people, embarking on Zazen at Tofukuji Shorinji is a truly extraordinary and transformative experience. 

Established in 1236, Tofuku-ji is the oldest Buddhist temple in Kyoto and the head temple of the Rinzai sect of Buddhism. It is the largest and oldest temple complex in Japan. 

Shorinji was founded as a sub-temple of Tofukuji in 1550 at the request of Kogaku Reisho, the 205th head priest of Tofukuji.

Zazen is a deeply rooted practice that offers a serene and contemplative experience. Situated within the peaceful surroundings of the temple, practitioners engage in Zazen meditation, focusing on their breath and letting go of distractions. The tranquil atmosphere and guidance provided by experienced teachers create an ideal environment for cultivating mindfulness and self-awareness.

Through Zazen at Tofukuji Shorinji, participants have the opportunity to delve into the essence of Zen Buddhism, immersing themselves in the present moment and discovering inner peace. It is a cherished practice that connects individuals with the profound wisdom and tranquility that can be found within. providing a serene and introspective experience. 

Additionally, we had a thrilling Kurama hiking adventure. The trail from Kurama to Kibune Shrine is one of Kyoto's most popular hiking courses.

Kurama Temple is a revered Buddhist temple nestled in the scenic Kurama mountains of Kyoto, known for its power spot, spiritual ambiance, and beautiful natural surroundings.

Kibune Shrine is a picturesque Shinto shrine located in the mountains of Kyoto, renowned for its unique setting above the Kibune River and its association with water-related rituals and blessings.

As we walked from Kurama to Kibune, we soaked up the energy of nature and had an epic adventure that left us buzzing with excitement. It was an incredibly special experience.