Night Life in Rennes

CIEE Rennes

After being in Rennes for month, I have noticed the abundant number of restaurants, bars and cafés in Rennes. While Rennes has a thriving night life, if you are someone who is looking to go clubbing into late hours of the night, you may find some difficulties. While Rennes has a variety of clubs to go to, particularity on the “Rue de la Soif”, a street that is known for students, most of the actual dance clubs don’t open until 12:30am. This can be difficult because you will most likely be living outside of the city center and will need to take the bus or metro into town. The buses usually stop running at around 12 or 1 am, therefore, unless you take a taxi, which can be rather expensive, you could be stuck walking a 30-60-minute walk. Rennes is a fairly safe city; however, I would avoid walking at night, especially if you are alone.

Regardless of this, it is still possible to have a fun night out in Rennes! For a typical night out, first I usually go out to eat somewhere with my friends. Then, we like to go to a bar or pub after. At bars, we usually just chat and only order about 1 to 2 drinks. We typically leave at about 11 or 12, depending on what time our buses come, and we usually all take different buses, so we make sure to text each other when we get home assuring that everyone got home safely. Whether you like drinking or not, going out at night is a great way to enjoy a meal with your friends, learn more about each other, and make memories.

Photo for blog post Night Life in Rennes

Another thing that my friends and I like to do, is go to this cocktail bar in Rennes called Funky Monkey for weekly trivia night. Every Wednesday, they host a trivia night (In English). This goes from 6-8pm, therefore you will still have plenty of time to make it home and eat dinner, but still be able to enjoy a drink after class!

Another good way to get out in Rennes is attend the “student soirees” that CIREFE hosts 1-2 times a month. They are usually held on a week night from 8-10 at bar somewhere in the city center. This is a great way to meet other students in the CIREFE program or even other students in Rennes 2!

While there is an abundance of things to do at night in Rennes, don’t forget that you don’t exclusively have to go out at night! Often times, my friends and I will go out and try new restaurants or cafes for lunch. After this, we will often go and explore the city some more.

(Eating lunch at Creperie in Rennes)

No matter what you like, whether you like to drink or not, Rennes is a college town, and therefore, there is always something do to at night. However, don’t forget that sometimes it is fun to stay in as well and spend time with your host family or even just watch some Netflix! Sometimes you will need a night in, because even though you’re having fun all the time, it can be exhausting!

Olivia Botting

St. Lawrence University