My Other Persona

Summer Korean Studies

Yomi A.

Sun-Dal: my other persona

As I continue to embark on this journey, I learn that no matter where I go, I will find mi gente. Mi gente signifies "my people". No matter the language barriers, our superficial racial categorizations, our disputes between creed and philosophy, it is important to find people who can and will support you. I have been blessed to have found many friend and support systems. I am constantly asking strangers on the street for directions. Local Korean strangers have taken as much as fifteen minutes out of their day to walk with me to find my destination. Not only has the local population blessed me, so has the international community. I've made friends from all around the world while walking down the street, waiting for the subway, sitting in front of coffee shops, and going shopping. I've managed to speak English, French, Spanish, Chinese, and Korean on my trip here. I speak French almost every day here. As my study abroad journey comes to its midway phase, I ask myself what will happen to Sun-Dal. Sun-Dal 선달 is the Korean name that my friend Yoon and I came up with for me to use in Korea. Whenever I meet a local, I use that name. Will Sun-Dal disappear when I return to the US? I can't wait to find out. To mi gente in Korea, I am Sun-Dal. To my American countrymen, I am Yomi. How much of Sun-Dal will survive the trip back?