My First Two Weeks

Summer Korean Studies

Keagan P.

You know what they say, time flies when you're having fun!

The first two weeks of study abroad are already in the books! Before the program started, I was extremely nervous. Not only did I barely speak the language, but I was also arriving a week earlier than other CIEE participants. However, as soon as I boarded the plane, my nerves melted away. All my worries got overshadowed by the excitement of my upcoming adventure. I somehow knew that this experience was going to be amazing, and I'm happy to say that I was right! Since arriving in Korea, I have only had great days. The locals are kind, welcoming, and always willing to lend a helping hand. There are also many events, cafes, shopping centers, restaurants, etc. to visit. On top of that, getting around the city is also super easy because of the amazing transportation system here.

My favorite part about the past two weeks has been the amazing group of friends I made. I met them on the first day of CIEE orientation. Only the first orientation session was online due to covid testing guidelines so I went into the day not knowing what to expect; however, I ended the day with a group of friends that felt like I had known them forever. Since that day, I have quite literally spent every day exploring Seoul with them. From visiting the Han river to shopping to finding themed cafes/restaurants, there is never a dull day with them!

A piece of advice I would give anyone doing this program is to go to orientation and other CIEE events. This is the easiest way to make new friends and learn about Korea in the process. And to anyone thinking about doing this program, do it! Experiencing Korea's culture firsthand is something you don't want to pass up! The past few days have been great and I can't wait to see what's in store for the next five weeks!