Most Useful Phrases for Studying Abroad in South Korea

Brooke W.

When studying abroad in a foreign country that speaks a different language, it is helpful to know some key phrases so that you can communicate with the locals around you. Additionally, learning Hangul is incredibly useful and it's pretty easy. Because even after learning Korean for 10 years prior to studying there, I constantly tripped up on my words and there were some things I heard daily that I had never learned. So here is a guide to the most useful everyday phrases. 

1.이거 주세요. (i-geo ju-seyo)

Meaning: “This please” a simple way to ask for something whether it be in a cafe, or store, you can point to what you want and say this so you don’t need any additional vocabulary and it is easy to understand. 

2. 화장실 어디예요? (Hwa-jang-sil eo-di-ye-yo)

Meaning: “Where is the bathroom” the importance is pretty self explanatory.

3. 포장으로 주세요. (Po-jang-eu-ro ju-se-yo)

Meaning: “Please do take-out” for restaurants and food chains whenever you would like to take your food to go.

4. 이거 얼마예요? (I-geo eol-ma-ye-yo)

Meaning: “How much is this?” used for asking how the price of something at establishments.

5. 이해 못해요. (I-hae mot-hae-yo)

Meaning: “I don’t understand” used whenever you don’t understand either phrasing or word usage. 

6. 도와 주세요. (Do-wa ju-se-yo)

Meaning: “Please help me.” A simple phrase when you need help in most situations.

7. 괜찮아요. (Gwen-chan-a-yo)

Meaning: “It’s okay” You can use this to refuse something like a receipt or to as a response to an apology.

8. 이름이 뭐예요/성함이 어떻게 되세요? (I-leum-ee mwo-ye-yo/ seong-ham-ee eo-dok-hae dwi-se-yo)

Meaning: “What is your name?” The first one is a more casual form while the second is more honorific for those much older than you. 

9. 죄송합니다. (Chwi-song-ham-ni-da)

Meaning: “I am sorry” you can use this when you make a mistake, mishear something, or kind of as “excuse me.” It is very versatile and can be used in many similar contexts as English. 

10. 영어 할 수 있어요? (Yeong-eo hal-su-ee-seo-yo)

Meaning: “Can you speak English” while this may not be something you want to constantly resort to, it is very useful when speaking about important or unique topics.