Mix it Up

Summer Korean Studies

Chris W.

Mix it Up

As you start to settle in to your semester abroad, you may find yourself falling into some pretty comfortable habits. Perhaps theres a really good restaurant around the corner that you find youself frequenting, or maybe you just really love to go to Karaoke. And theres nothing wrong with that. Its great that you've found something that you enjoy doing with your friends, but dont get too comfortable! Settling into habits can limit your ability to truly explore your host country and it can make the length of your trip feel much shorter. 

Breaking Those Habits

Another problem you may feel you are experiencing is the inability to break those habits. Maybe you'd like to go out and try something new, but you arent sure how to, or even what that might look like. Well there are plenty of options. You dont have to do something drastic, like trying raw, squirming octopus tentacles... Instead you can do something easy like simply exploring a different part of your city. Try a little hole in the wall restaurant, order something you've never tried before. 

If you are feeling even more adventerous, I recommend you try to take a weekend trip to explore a whole different region of the country you are visitng. Maybe go visit the countryside, or perhaps another city farther away. You will be surprised by all of the cultural differences, different dialects, etc. You might feel nervous mixing things up a little, but I promise it will be worth it.