Life at Sophia University

Arts +Sciences

Aleya G.

Hello! We are almost at the midpoint of my first semester here at Sophia, and I think it's time to reflect on what it is like being a student here.  This will be a bit of a longer one, but I hope that it is insightful!

• Japanese Class: Before classes started there was a Japanese Placement Test, and it was intimidating. However, I do agree that it does place you in the right level of Japanese. Coming from the Genki I textbook I thought I would be placed in the intermediate level since that is what I would be at home, but at least for me, the intermediate levels are very different! I got placed in M1 or Japanese 150, although some of it is a review of concepts I definitely needed the review after summer break, and they cover double the chapters in a semester (I would study 6 chapters in a semester but here it is 12!).  Also, back at my home university my none of my classes meet every day so transitioning to a class that meets Monday- Friday was quite difficult. I am in Japanese 150 which means I have class every morning at 9:15 AM! To help hone my Japanese outside of class, I joined the conversation support sessions which is free and a small group (up to 5) and you practice speaking without having to study for it, and the instructor is super nice and the people you will be will be of the same level.
  • Making friends: Coming to the program I was a bit naive and thought, despite being shy, I would make so many Japanese friends instantly with my very limited, but impressive, speaking skills! However, I actually made more friends with other exchange students then with the locals. (It is good to be friends with other exchange students but iI find it a bit hard to practice Japanese with them!). This was partically discouraging, but as have come I learn and partically expected, they are really shy and you may find it hard to meet any outside of clubs. Don't be discouraged though if you don't make Japanese friends right away! If you join a club and go to meetings regularly you are bound to make some friends no matter how shy you are.
  • Clubs and other extra curricular activities: There are many clubs to join at Sophia, and you are bound to find one that suits your preferences. Personally, since I have never joined a club before it was hard to choose. There are ones that meet at lunch, on the weekend, later in the day, or a mix of those. There are cultural exchange circles, sports, dance, and hiking. In the fall semester it is hard to find clubs since there will be a mini fair for exchange students, but not all clubs will be there or at least ones you are looking for. Since I had no idea what to expect from a club I decided to join a cultural exchange circle so I can talk to other students, and they are some of the cheaper clubs to join (nearly all clubs have an admittence fee so be sure to look out for what you can afford!). I joined, GL-Net, since does not have a fee. and meets during lunch. For me this was a great way to ease into what it was like joining a club and practice some Japanese. Maybe next semester I will join more than one club and try out something new! If you are here for one semester a couple of clubs that I know my friends enjoy being in is the Kimono Club and Kudo (traditional Japanese Archery).  
  • Water fountains: This seems like a bit of silly one, but I think this is very important especially if you are used to carring a waterbottle everywhere. For some background, when you come to Tokyo you will notice vending machines for drinks are everywhere! As strange and convenient it is, it does get expensive to buy a drink all the time! In fact, if you are on a budget you might find yourself drinking less water than you usually do, but I am here to you be hydrated! In the library and outside of building 10 and 11 there are water fountains! From my observation, it seems at least every floor will have a water fountain and it will be in the halls by the elevator, but they are a bit hidden. For building 11 it is by the vending machines, and 10 tucked away in a couple of corners.

I hope this was insightful as to what life here at Sophia University is like! Thank you for reading!