LIBERAL ARTS NEWSLETTER/ FALL 2017/ ISSUE III

Olga Merino

GREETINGS FROM SEVILLA!

Last week, final exams marked the end of fall 2017 semester for Liberal Arts students. From different perspectives, this has been an intense semester:

ACADEMICS

Students enjoyed an interesting academic semester with classes that included solid out-of-class component that illustrated and complemented what was discussed in class. For instance, students of the Social Justice, Action and Media: Stories that Matter course participated in a discussion and visit to the NGO Historias de Luz, which aims at giving voice to those who most need to be heard. Also, the students of the Economic Development class visited a local business to discuss how the increase of tourism in our cities is changing our routine, skyline and even our society.

VOLUNTEERING

Liberal Arts students had the option to volunteer as an extra activity or for credit. For instance, we collaborated for the first time with San Juan de Dios assistant living for elderly residence. There, students worked in occupational therapy and doing psychological support at the memory unit. Liberal Arts students also collaborated in different NGOs devoted to after-school tutoring with children at-risk for social exclusion, such as Rompe tus cadenas.

CULTURAL ACTIVITIES AND INTEREST GROUPS

Last November, all Interest Groups (IGs) had their weekend trip. The Iberian Gastronomy and the Cultural Expressions IGs travelled to Lisbon (Portugal) and Spanish Traditions and Sports and Nature to Madrid.

Among other activities, the Cultural Expressions IG visited the MAAT (Museum of Design, Art and Architecture) and the Oceanario. The highlight of the Iberian Gastronomy trip was a Portuguese masterchef class, where students learned to cook, among other dishes, the typical Bacalao a bras.

The Sports and Nature IG visited in Madrid the Real Madrid Stadium and the Spanish Traditions IG students participated in a “Chotis” dance workshop. 

We hope that you had a great fall semester and that the winter holidays help you recharge batteries!

All the best from Sevilla,

Sergio and Olga