A K-Beauty Tour of Myeongdong

Tiffany K.

Myeongdong is one of Seoul's largest shopping districts and is home to several retail stores, international brands, and larger shopping centers such as the Lotte Department Store. The main street of Myeongdong, which is lined with Korean cosmetic shops, draws in locals and tourists alike. Recently, the so-called "K-Beauty" phenomenon has gained popularity not only in Asia but throughout the rest of the world. Known for skincare, lip tints, and bright, glowing complexion, K-beauty is a huge draw for tourists in South Korea. For anyone interested in Korean beauty products, or just cosmetics in general, Myeongdong is a must-see when visiting Seoul! And for those who are less interested in shopping, the district is also home to great dining spots and countless street-food vendors. Below, I'll take you on a mini-tour of some of my favorite spots in Myeongdong and give you some tips for getting the most out of your shopping experience! 

Photo for blog post A K-Beauty Tour of Myeongdong

First up is Innisfree, one of the most popular skincare and makeup brands. They have several storefronts in the Myeongdong area, and their primary location even has a cafe! I recommend checking out their green tea skincare line, and "No Sebum" setting powder. 

Next up is Etude House! They're best known for their lip tints and endorsed by Kpop mega-group Red Velvet!  

And finally, one of my recent favorites, 3CE! This brand has been gaining a ton of popularity in Korea, and their pink hotel-style storefront is too cute to miss. I recommend checking out their lipsticks and blushes! Tip: go up to the second floor when make-up shopping, they have the same products and it's much less crowded than the ground floor. 

And after you've shopped your heart out, be sure to check out some of the street food vendors selling everything from Korean classics like 떡볶이 (tteokbokki) to fancier options such as grilled lobster! 

Shopping Tips and Tricks 

1. Swatch everything. Most retailers have samples of all of their products out for display so you can swatch and check the color, texture, and quality of the product before you buy it. 

2. Take advantage of free samples. A lot of vendors hand out free samples at the door, and will fill your bag with extra goodies during check-out! 

3. Negotiate prices. Some retailers, especially at smaller stores, are willing to bring down prices. At larger retail brands, sometimes you can get store workers to throw in free products or extra free samples if you try to negotiate with them a little bit. 

4. 1+1 is your best friend. A lot of retailers run special sales called "1+1" in which the products are buy-one-get-one-free! 

5. Be careful of fakes. Certain "discount" stores promise you popular brands and products at sale prices, but beware they are not always genuine. The best bet is to buy the product directly from the brand itself.

Bonus!
Be sure to check out Myeongdong Kyoja for some of the best 칼국수 and dumplings in Seoul! 

And that's all for now! See you guys next time!