June: The Final Moments of a Milestone Journey

Le'Andra M.

Throughout this journey, I have witnessed the greatness that I would have never thought of experiencing for a long while. Being in a foreign country (an Asian country) for the first time, alone, in my early 20's, and as a college student is certainly a treat in itself. There was never a dull moment, and I believe my time spent here was well worth it.

First off, the friends and people that I have met. I mentioned previously that I was an introvert that sometimes has trouble speaking with strangers. Ever since I reached out to one of the students in our program, friendships have blossomed through and through. Some are even solid as if we knew each other for years. If anything, the people are who I'm going to miss the most. Without them, this trip would just be me wandering Korea, wondering who will join me for some shenanigans. 

Second, the food. Korean food has always been hyped up for years, and now that I have tried many delicacies, it's no joke. I highly recommend Korean fried chicken, all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ, late-night delivery food, and sweet treats like shaved ice. You will never regret your decisions when it comes to having Korean food. 

Lastly, Korea itself. I have dreamt of coming to this country for years, but I never thought it would be so soon! Due to the pandemic, a lot of opportunities have been crushed, but being here and living the real Korean life made up for those tragically missed opportunities. Some of my top favorite things that I have done in Korea were going to Jeju and Nami Island, Lotte World, doing monthly birthday/anniversary cafe hopping, having tremendous meals with friends, partying it up in Hongdae, and so much more. I promise to come back to Korea as soon as possible since not everything on my bucket list has been checked off.

For anyone considering studying abroad or coming to Korea, please do it. You will, for one, not be disappointed, and two, live your best life! It's a pleasure and honor living somewhere that is surely unfamiliar to you, and you learn to adapt to it. Being in Korea makes me feel like a true Korean!