Jeju's Waterfalls and Specialty Food

Cynthia Z.

Jeju, an island in South Korea, has always been on the top of my list of places to visit. This week, CIEE students and I were able to fly out to visit Jeju’s beaches, waterfalls, and other sights. 

Jeju is known for its beautiful locations and its food. My favorite place we visited was the Cheonjiyeon Waterfall as it was crowded with plants and statues. Also, it is located near a trail which led us on a path with sculptures and several cafes. I also enjoyed striding through this location as I noticed how impactful oranges are not only in terms of the food aspect but also in clothing. Jeju not only holds large orange farms but also a trend in which groups of people wear orange hats, pins, and bags. 

Originally our trip was centered on our excursions to the beaches and waterfalls. However, after speaking with people in Jeju, we quickly realized our trip would not be complete without trying Jeju’s specialty foods. Key things we were recommended to try in Jeju were pork, green tea, and its famous oranges. I was very glad to have followed the recommendations as the food was delicious. Also through these experiences we were able to meet local citizens who greeted us warmly and helped us navigate around the cities. 

I was delighted to take this trip as Jeju was very relaxing, beautiful, and fun! We were able to make the most out of our trip by interacting with new people, visiting landmarks, and trying new food. Our trip to Jeju has been impactful as it has led me to get out of my comfort zone and experience life from a different perspective.