J-term in Legon – Eye-Opening and Enriching

January in Legon

Expand your interest in African culture and reproductive health in Ghana this winter break, birthplace of Kwame Nkrumah, the most Influential African of the millennium.

For three eye-opening and enlightening weeks you’ll study alongside locals at the University of Ghana and learn about important elements of the Ghanaian and African social, cultural, and traditional beliefs that shape reproductive health issues. In-class lectures, discussions, and guest speakers will cover topics such as abortion, HIV/AIDS, maternal mortality, infertility, and more. You’ll also get a firsthand look at health facilities in rural and urban Accra – the country’s capital city. 

Culture and Reproductive Health is taught by faculty from the University of Ghana and ideal for students pursuing majors in Public Health, Pre-Med, Sociology, Social Work, African Studies, and International Development. Whether you choose to live in a dorm on the University of Ghana campus or with a local host family, you’ll be immersed in the Legon community, and come away with a deep appreciation for Ghanaian heritage.

Visiting Cape Coast and Elmina to see slave dungeons, shopping in open-air markets, and touring landmarks and monuments will offer valuable historical context to your studies. You’ll also get the chance to cook an authentic Ghanaian meal and learn the Batik technique for creating beautiful hand-dyed fabric. CIEE trained University of Ghana students will help you understand the Ghanaian society by engaging in meaningful discussions on issues affecting young people all over the world. You may even come away with a few life-long friends in Ghana!

AKWAABA!! (Welcome).