An Interview With CIEE Student Caleb Hempstead

Caleb Hempstead, a CIEE student studying abroad on CIEE's fall '18 Open Campus program, was recently interviewed by CIEE staff about his semester abroad so far.

CIEE: What is your home university? 

Caleb: My home university is Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA.

CIEE: What is your major? 

Caleb: I am double majoring in finance and economics.

CIEE: Where are you studying abroad? Are you studying in more than one location? 

Caleb: I am studying abroad in 3 locations: Santiago, Chile; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; and Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Photo for blog post An Interview With CIEE Student Caleb Hempstead

CIEE: So far, what has been your favorite excursion? 

Caleb: My favorite excursion was during my first block in Santiago, Chile. We visited the Atacama Desert in Northern Chile which was beyond words. 

CIEE: So far, what has been your favorite thing about studying abroad? 

Caleb: One of my favorite things about studying abroad has been experiencing all the new cultures and ways of life that are different from mine. 

CIEE: So far, what has been your favorite thing about studying abroad in the location you picked? 

Caleb: My favorite thing about studying abroad in Rio is living 10 minutes from the beach. I go for a run almost every day by it. 

CIEE: What is your advice to students considering studying abroad?

Caleb: Do it! It is one of the best experiences you will have. You're constantly learning and widening your horizons. 

CIEE: Anything else you’d like to add? Why CIEE? Did you receive any scholarships? 

Caleb: I choose CIEE because of its widely respected name and history that is associated with it. I also received two scholarships through CIEE. One was a grant towards my tuition and the other was towards my flight to and from the United States. 

CIEE: So far, what has been one lesson you learned or one experience you had that you could only get from studying abroad?

Caleb: Learning from professors who have a totally different perspective on the world than I do. It is extremely interesting to be in their lectures and understand the dynamics of their careers. 

CIEE: Why did you choose to study abroad in the fall?

Caleb: I choose to study abroad in the fall because I want my last semester to be at my home university for a better transition into the workforce.