How to Survive Midterms Abroad

Tiffany K.

While it is called "studying abroad", it is easy to get caught up in the excitement of living in a new country and focus more on the "abroad" rather than the "studying". However, during the midterm exam season, work becomes unavoidable and the textbooks must be dusted off and opened up. Luckily, there is an abundance of places to get work done here in Seoul and in this post, I'll introduce study spots in the Sinchon area and tips for a successful midterm season abroad!

1. Cafés 

Finding a café in Seoul is about as hard as finding a grain of sand at the beach. Virtually every block has at least one café with a good atmosphere, an abundance of caffeine, and a cozy spot to sit and study. Additionally, there are also a few 24-hour cafés incredibly close to the Yonsei campus, for any those who like to get work done during the late night hours. 

2. The Library

Conveniently located in the middle of campus, the Yonsei University Central Library is another great study spot. Via kiosks located inside the main lobby, you can reserve a seat in one of the multiple study rooms. One downside is that the library tends to close by the early evening, however, there is a 24-hour study room for those who wish to work past closing time. 

3. The Commons 

Also located in the center of Yonsei's campus is "The Commons", an underground student center with a Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Paris Baguette, salad shop, and convenience store. Located right next to the bookstore, The Commons is a great place to rest between classes, grab a quick coffee, or study during the day. 

4. The Dorm 

Last but not least is the SK Global House, where most CIEE Seoul students stay. On each floor is a common area and separate a study room. Additionally, in the basement is a 24-hour convenience store, where study snacks and coffee can be purchased. Although it is a college dorm, the noise level on the floors tends to be minimal, and the common spaces are pretty clean and comfortable. 

Study Tips

1. Don't procrastinate! Although it may be tempting to push aside homework in order to fully enjoy your experience abroad, make sure you allow yourself adequate time to finish assignments and study for exams in order to do your best.

2. Ask for help. While college culture varies across borders, don't hesitate to reach out to professors, teaching assistants, or other classmates if you need help. Since course expectations may vary from your homeschool, it is important to seek clarification if you are unsure about something. 

3. Take care of yourself! In the midst of midterm madness, it is easy to be consumed by stress and lose sleep, skip meals, and deprioritize your health. Make sure to take adequate study breaks, eat regular meals, and get as much sleep as possible. Your health and wellbeing should always be a priority. 

4. Switch up study spots! Studying in the same place for too long can get boring. Change up your study location every so often in order to keep refresh your mind and maximize productivity. 

Exam season is rough, and in a new environment, comes new challenges. While studying may not be your main priority abroad, make sure to keep up with your classes, ask for help when you need it, and stay on the path towards success. Happy studying!