Holiday Buffet and Czech Christmas Staples

CIEE Prague

​We recently hosted a Christmas Buffet at the Prague Study Center, as part of which our Fall semester students got to taste some of the staple dishes which Czechs eat and snack on during the festive season. Apart from trying out the various dishes and singing along to Christmas hits, students also enjoyed a photo booth thanks to which they created last minute souvenirs to remind them of their study abroad experience and friends.

Photo for blog post Holiday Buffet and Czech Christmas Staples

And what were the Christmas holiday classics that we served?

Potato salad (bramborový salát in Czech) – no Czech holiday feast is complete without the potato salad and although every family has their own specific recipe, the main ingredients are always potatoes, hard boiled eggs, root vegetables and plenty of mayo.

Schnitzel (řízek in Czech) – a thin slice of pork or chicken coated in flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs and pan-fried until golden brown.

Mushroom and barley Kuba – a distant relative of risotto, Kuba is a baked vegetarian dish made of pearl barley and mushrooms spiced with garlic, marjoram and caraway.

Christmas cookies (cukroví in Czech) – a wide selection of traditional baked sweets that are made with ingredients such as flour, butter, ground or whole nuts, white and black chocolate, vanilla, different jams, rum and many others. They are shaped into different forms, ornately decorated and served during the festive season.

Watch our Instagram reel from the event