Hiking Bugaksan Mountain

Joy M.

Coming from Minnesota, the U.S State known for its 10,000 lakes, I was very excited about the change in scenery. When my friend asked if I wanted to hike one of the mountains in Seoul, I did not hesitate and ecstatically agreed.

What is the Seoul City Wall?

The Seoul City Wall provides various hiking paths and incredible views of Seoul. The hiking paths allow visitors to walk along the city walls built during the Joseon dynasty. My friends and I hiked the Baegak Mountain Trail and Bugaksan Mountain. Our route started from Changuimun Gate and ended at Hyehwamun Gate, taking approximately 3 hours to complete.

Photo for blog post Hiking Bugaksan Mountain

Excited about the hike and scenery, we started full of energy. Once we crossed through Changuimun Gate, we were greeted with endless stairs (imagine Kung Fu Panda when Po is in denial over the number of stairs). In simple words, I was fighting for my life. With rare resting points, we climbed the stairs for an hour. The first 15 minutes were crucial; it felt like we had been mountain climbing for days. Every time I would look up, the path felt even longer than before. Breathlessly looking down and calculating how far we came, I faced an internal dilemma. My weak, shaking legs begged to go back down the stairs. Sympathizing with an older man who cursed the entire way up the mountain, I followed pursuit in his efforts. I was testing and pushing my limits, but I had to finish our hike, even if it meant my entire body would be sore for the rest of the week. 

Making it to the top of the mountain (peep the picture of my friend Ellen literally at the tip of the mountain), we finally breathed the fresh air and let our bodies process what it had just gone through. The trip back down the mountain was relatively easy and fun. We discussed deep topics about our future aspirations and how our friend spontaneously made hamburger ice cream (literally chopped a Mcdonald's burger and mixed it with a vanilla shake - rated 10/10). 

I am very grateful for my friends who slowed their pace to make sure I was okay. I would not have made it up the mountain if not for their support. Was the view beautiful? Yes. It was breathtaking. Would I hike Bugaksan mountain again? No... I want to try the other paths along the Seoul City Wall with my remaining time here. I think of this first hiking expedition in Seoul as practice for future trips.