Hiking at Ansan Mountain

Cynthia Z.

I am currently attending Yonsei University in Seoul, South Korea. One of the most surprising facts I have learned about the country is that 70% of the country is covered in mountains. Although I was shocked to learn this fact, I was happy because I enjoy hiking in my free time. 

One of the aspects of Yonsei University I like is that it is situated near hiking trails. Last month I was able to hike up Ansan Mountain a couple of times with other CIEE Students. The trail up Ansan Mountain is an experience I will never forget as it has several places you can stop and admire the plants and temples surrounding the area. 

Another shocking aspect of Korea that I noted was the importance of health and exercise. While hiking up the mountain I noticed several exercise equipment along the trails, which are for public use. I also saw several people with different age ranges running, stretching, and using the equipment. I also thought the placement of the trail was interesting as it connects to a park and is situated behind Yonsei University and next to a large neighborhood. 

I enjoyed the hiking trips I did at Ansan Mountain as it is close to campus, has an amazing view of Seoul, and helped me understand the importance of fitness in South Korea.