Halloween 2018

Arts +Sciences

Aleya G.

Halloween has passed but it's never too late to know what to do for Halloween in Tokyo. On Halloween night my friends and I went to Shibuya. There were people dressed up as anime characters, ghouls, and some were just in onesies. There were people driving around on motorcycles, and the longer you stay the louder it seemed to get. Since Halloween is not the most widely celebrated holiday it was amazing to see so many people dressed up. As usual, it was very crowded and it was impossible to get a good photo, but many people were dressed up in all sorts of attire. I have no doubt that other places in Tokyo were just as lively as Shibuya, however, it would be hard to see them all so my best advise is to pick a place and spend the evening there. We spent a couple of hours in Shibuya, and by the time we made it to Shinjuku it was pretty calm.

Unlike other places in the world there was no children trick-or-treating so for the most part Halloween in Tokyo is about walking around, maybe going to clubs, and seeing everyone's costumes. My discription may not be the best, but it is still an experience that I would advise to go on even for a couple of hours. If big crowds and loud music is not your thing then I advise staying away from Shibuya, especially the crossing.