Global Business Etiquette 101: Showing Gratitude

Global Internships

A wise Persian poet by the name of Saadi once said, "A traveler without observation, is a bird without wings." The same could be said about Global Interns doing business in a foreign country. Observing another culture's best business practices, etiquette, and successful communication techniques, will set you up for lasting success. Read below for our tips on how to say "thanks!" and "see you soon!" to your employer. 

Barcelona

Surely you've gotten used to asking for things you need - whether help at your internship, or for the bill at your favorite Tapas place. Spainards are very independent and passive when it comes to business interactions, often. Respect the cultural difference, and find something small and thoughtful that shows you are thankful for the time they shared with you. You won't soon be forgotten if you stay away from the tourist items. 

Berlin

By now you know Germans are masters of planning - careful planning in business and personal affairs, provide Germans a great sense of security. Make sure you finish all loose ends of each project - Germans do not like surprises - don't let them discover unfinished tasks, a messy desk, or a lack of careful consideration for their time. While gift-giving is not common in Germany when it comes to business, for more social occasions, or for showing gratitude, gift-giving is reletively customary. Acceptable gifts at places of business include office equipment, good quality pens, organizational planners - small and good quality are two important characteristics to remember. 

Boston

Success in business in Boston (and really, everywhere...) depends on your ability to build, and keep relationships. Boston is a bustling city, leaving an impression will be key in your success when it comes to future networking around Beantown. Make sure to trade personal information with your colleagues - and maybe treat them to a coffee over some nice conversation where you express your willingness to stay engaged! 

Cape Town

Time to hit all those vibrant and colorful markets you have been eyeing for the past couple months. Head down to Long Street and source your best token of appreciation. It is common to present a small gift in business while in Cape Town. Gifts are usually opened when received - so expect to engage in this practice with your colleagues before heading home. 

Hong Kong

Want to really impress your new friends before leaving? Although English is commonly used in business as you know now, you can gain the respect of your peers by practicing and learning Cantonese - speak slowly and clearly. Being well prepared to close out your tasks, and respectful while doing so, will leave you set up for success in Hong Kong with your new professional network. 

London

Last few days in London? Gift giving is not a usual part of British business etiquette, although being thankful certainly is. There is a large range of suitable gifts to choose from like greeting cards, pens, books, flowers, alcohol or a hometown souvineer you brought with you. British people find the value of manners and etiquette to be high - don't forget to practice your handshake and smile as well. 

Mumbai

It's safe to say you've learned you are a small fish in a big pond, right? With nearly 1.2 billion people it's important to note that best practices across India vary by city. Be subtle in showing your gratitude to your colleagues in Mumbai. It is rare to give gifts in business settings, but should you be invited to a dinner to celebrate, it us customary to bring a bouquet or sweets with you. Insider tips - be sure to give the gift with either both hands or with your right hand - as the the left is considered unclean when alone, and whatever you do, don't wrap it in white (symbolizes mourning) or black paper (sumbolizes danger).  

New York City 

Similar to Boston and Los Angeles, New Yorkers find pride and value in genuine thankfulness and gestures of gratitude. Take your lunch break, head out and grab the office some treats, coffee, or a nice bouquet of flowers and suggest the office enjoys them, as much as you have enjoyed working with all of them. 

Prague

It's time to show off your hometown pride in Prague, and we hope you brought something from home you can leave behind. Most businesses do not expect gifts, however small presents and tokens of gratitude are appreciated. Leave your new colleagues something that will remind them of where you are from back home. But we suggest leaving the big, expensive items out of it - if the value of a gift is too great, a company may reject it based on laws in the Czech Republic about corporate gifts. 

San Francisco 

Timeliness is key. Continuing to respect your colleagues time through the duration of your internship will be something they aren't soon to forget. In such a busy city to get around, timing is everything. As in many US cities, it will be important to recognize the value of a person's time, and how busy their schedule is. As you wrap up, keep things succinct and easy for your colleagues to pick back up, should they need to. And don't forget to exchange social media handles - you never know when you will find yourself in the Bay Area again. 

Santiago

By now, you know Chileans value the face-to-face time they share with their business colleagues and partners. It is critical that you do not send your "thank yous" via email or digital communication. Be sure to genuinely show your gratitude to boss and colleagues, in-person. 

Seville

Spaniards can often be found working and living on their own time. Siestas and tapas are a big part of the culture. Is there an opportunity to walk around the bright city and grab a quick bite before afternoon siesta? Your colleagues won't sleep on that offer. 

Shanghai

In China, gifts are given as a sign of respect, gratitude, loyalty and friendship. Chinese gift-giving ettiquette has been passed down  from generation to generation. Think ahead here - is there anything you packed you can give as a gift? The Chinese find meaning in gifts from your home country and things that mean a lot to you. Maybe now is a good time to ask Mom for that carepackage...

Singapore

Be mindful of gift giving in Singapore! Little tokens of appreciation will go a long distance with your new business and professional network. Exercise basic humbleness and sensitivity when gift-giving to your new friends. Be punctual, be polite, be grateful for their help over the past few months. 

Sydney

Keep it simple, huh mate? Going down under has probably taught you quite about about the relaxed and careafree nature that Aussies have about them. Australians are very straight-forward and appreciate modesty - something small, but meaningful and specific for your colleagues will show your thoughtfulness. 

Tokyo

Observing the small details of politeness is a big way of showing respect and gratitude in Japan. Especially in Tokyo, a global business center, it's important to remember to nourish the relationships, in a kind and respectful way, as you begin to close down your business responsibilities. Remember the way you dress, speak and act will be the way your new Japanese colleagues remember you. In Tokyo, make the last impression as important as the first. Gift giving is less important than giving your gratitude to boss, colleagues and site director. 

Toronto

Focusing on the needs of others is a highlight in Canada, eh? Remember to maintain strong eye-contact when you are exchanging pleasantries. Your body language and dress code are just as important as they were on day one. Respecting your peers and colleagues will never be forgotten as you relive this experience over and over again. 

Remember, your internship abroad is just the start to your professional career. How do you want to be remembered? Practicing gratitude and thoughtfulness as you work to finish your projects and get ready to apply your learnings, will set you up for future success with your professional network. Share your best tips for closing out your internship with us on social media by tagging #CIEEInternships

Photo for blog post Global Business Etiquette 101: Showing Gratitude

Our CIEE Global Internship programs combine a full-time internship with an integrated academic seminar to provide professional exploration and specific skills development. You’ll learn to contextualize real-world experience while learning about local business culture, intercultural communication, professional development, and linkages between local and global industry trends. When you apply to summer internship abroad, we do the work to match you with the internship opportunity that meets your needs, with internships spanning a diversity of fields — from public policy to the arts, business administration to marketing. We have you covered. You’ll develop the skills you need to succeed in the next steps of your career.