Getting to Busan (A Quick Guide)

Jacklin K.

As tempting as it is to take the “Train to Busan”, there are many options when it comes to planning a weekend trip to Busan! Here’s a quick guide to the many ways you can get from Seoul to South Korea’s second biggest city, Busan! 

Option 1: KTX (Bullet Train)

Photo for blog post Getting to Busan (A Quick Guide)

Many students opt to take the KTX, the infamous bullet train featured in the movie, as it is convenient and efficient - you’ll be in Busan in approximately 2 hours! While I haven’t taken the Seoul - Busan KTX route, I have taken the KTX from Incheon to Seoul and the trains were extremely clean and modern. However, during high travel seasons, like mid-April (cherry blossom season), KTX tickets can cost 80,000 won (around $70) for a one-way trip (160,000 round trip). But, aside from the price,  if you’re looking for the fastest and most convenient way to get to Busan, KTX is definitely your best option. 

Option 2: Intercity Train 

There are also cheaper (and much slower) train options available that are generally 40,000 won, one-way (80,000 round trip). These intercity trains may be half the cost, but they also take double the amount of time to get to Busan (approximately 5 and a half hours). If you’re just going to Busan for the weekend, these trains may not be the best option. However, if you have a lot of time to spare and don’t want to do too much planning or booking in advance, these intercity trains may be your best option. 

Option 3: Plane 

Finally, you can take a plane, which is often the cheapest option! From Seoul’s Gimpo International Airport (GMP) to Busan’s Gimhae International Airport (PUS) plane tickets are around 60,000 won, round trip! They can even sell for as low as 40,000 won on weekdays or during low season. Flights between GMP and PUS are operated multiple times a day by Korea’s budget airlines, including TWay Airlines, Busan Airlines, Jeju Airlines, so it is easy to find a flight that fits around your class schedule. The flight is super short, approximately 45 minutes. However, Gimpo Airport is a bit further away from Yonsei than Seoul station. While there is a bus that goes directly to the airport from a bus stop nearby SK Global house, it will take about an hour to get to the airport. But, the nice thing about Korean domestic flights is that the process of getting on the airplane: checking in, security, boarding, is all extremely fast and efficient. There’s no need to show up to the airport 2 hours in advance, since the whole process can be done in under 20 minutes. If you are looking for the cheap option and don’t mind doing some planning in advance, taking a plane will be your best bet! 

I ended up taking a plane, Busan Airlines, to go to Busan in mid April and the roundtrip tickets were approximately 80,000 won. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy air travel was domestically, and I’m definitely keeping my eye on plane ticket prices for domestic travel within Korea.