A Full-Circle Moment

Summer Korean Studies

Keagan P.

CIEE planned a weekend trip to Gangneung for us and I was able to see my inspiration for studying abroad. The 2018 Winter Olympic Games were held in Pyeongchang, South Korea which just so happens to be where our trip was; however, I didn't realize it until we pulled up to the Olympic stadium. I was in awe. The 2018 Olympic Games introduced me to South Korea and its culture because I had never really heard about Korea until that winter. Watching the games and seeing South Korea, its culture, and its beautiful city on the TV made me add it to my list of places to visit. It was always a dream of mine, but I never would've thought it would come true. Now fast forward to today, I'm standing in front of the Olympic Stadium, the place that seemed so far away just four years ago. I had a whirlwind of emotions just because it felt like everything was coming together for me. To be able to see, in person, the place that created this dream of mine was such an amazing feeling. On top of that, we got to go curling in the official curling stadium! Curling has always been one of my favorite Olympic sports to watch, so I was ecstatic to be able to do it myself! My team ended up winning our match (we won 3/4 rounds). I didn't realize how much fun it would be until I was out on the ice. This day was one of my favorite days I've had thus far!