First month in France

Liberal Arts

CIEE Rennes

I had been looking forward to studying abroad in France since my first year as a university student, but as it got closer to my actual departure date it seemed like the excitement had died out. This was a weird experience that I didn’t and still don’t really understand but it just goes to show that not everyone experiences things the same.

The long flight from the U.S. as well as the first few days in Paris didn’t really help to improve my experience. Paris was not at all how I thought it would be. It’s a city after all so there’s bound to be pollution and traffic. I think smoking is more common here than in the U.S. (or at least the part of the U.S. I’m from). One advice I would give for your first few days after arrival is don’t try to push yourself to go out if you’re tired. It’s easy to fool yourself into thinking you can handle it (that’s what I thought too) but the tiredness just dampens the experiences. Even though my first experience of Paris was negative, I would like a do-over when I’m more adjusted and not exhausted.

Living in Rennes has been surprisingly pleasant and I think it’s mostly thanks to my host family. I’m not an outgoing nor outspoken person and being in a new environment with new faces, speaking a language I have not fully grasped yet can get pretty stressful. My host family is very welcoming and understanding and I couldn’t have asked for a better one. I would advise you to really be honest when filling out the housing survey. The only way CIEE can find you the right family is if you tell them what you want.

One interesting thing I have noticed is that most households seem to have a cat. I’m definitely not complaining though. I have been in Rennes for a month now and the city that seemed so big and formidable at first seems small and familiar now. One way to familiarize yourself is to check out the different cafés, restaurants, bars, malls, or whatever grabs your interest. In the end, there’s no right or wrong way to study abroad. You can do as much or as little as you want, and whatever makes you happy or whatever floats your boat.

Asmita Pande
Soka University of America