Exploring South Korea: 3 Must-Do Activities

Perla D.

Go on Trips Outside of Seoul

Don’t limit yourself to just staying in the Seoul area. You can explore so much more beyond the city limits. Embrace the opportunity to go on day trips just an hour or two away from Seoul, or venture to beautiful destinations like Jeju and Busan – you’re in South Korea, the possibilities are endless!

My friends and I went on a spontaneous day trip to Suwon, which is around an hour and a half away from Yonsei on public transit. I would say that shopping, exploring Suwon’s cafe street, and eating amazing food was the highlight of our trip. We didn't go with a plan in mind, but that made it so much more fun since we were open to embracing whatever the day had in store for us. The area was still somewhat city-like but there weren't as many people as Seoul, making it a great and peaceful experience. 

View of Suwon
Food students ate while they were in Suwon

Take Advantage of CIEE Programming

CIEE Seoul puts on amazing programming that allows you to learn about Korean culture in an immersive way! The best way to learn is to take advantage of the opportunities offered to you. I don’t think I would've thought about signing up for a Korean cooking class during my time here, but because it was offered to me I decided to try it. Many of us went to make Korean Braised Short Ribs (갈비찜) and it was so delicious to eat our creation afterwards. 

CIEE offered us a diverse range of activities such as a dancing class with Song Hyemin (she dances with many K-Pop idols), a ceramics day trip to Mungyeongsaejae, hiking trips, and so much more! 

P.S. CIEE programming is also a great way to meet more students from the program.

Perla and Hyemin posing
Perla & 송혜민 after the dance class
Perla trying out traditional ceramic making
Trying traditional ceramics making

You MUST Take Photo Booth Photos

You can’t come to South Korea and leave without taking at least one photo booth picture. These photo booths are available 24/7 throughout Seoul, making it a delightful way to capture moments with your friends during your stay. One of my small goals at the moment is to collect as many photos as I can from photo booths because as we shift into a more digital world, it's hard to come across printed photos. So, go get cute and take some silly photos with your buddies!

Photo booth picture
Photo booth picture