Exploring Nature

Summer Korean Studies

Chris W.

Exploring Nature

The city of Seoul certainly has alot to offer. There is plenty to explore and countless hours that you can spend in only a small part of the enormous city. However, there is more to Korea to just the cities. There are huge expanses of beautiful land and terrain which is unique to the penninsula that warrant your exploration! Below are just a couple that I would recommend you check out during your time in South Korea.

Buddhist Temple in Gangneung

Walking the paths on the outskirts of the Buddhist temples in Gangneung is something I would definatley recommend you try before you leave South Korea. There is a well maintained wooden path and little incline, making for an easy, leisurely stroll through a densely wooded forest. There and many streams and little waterfalls that you will see on your journey that you will see eventually lead into a large river that cuts through the forest. But be careful, there are also a few venmous species of snake that you may encouter on your trek through the forest.

Volcanic Formations of Jeju

Certainly the most stunning scenery that I have seen while in South Korea is at Jeju Island. The previous, massive volcanic activity on the island has led to the formation of amazing landmarks such as the Hyeopjae caves, Hallasan mountain and Jusangjeolli cliff. If you have the opportunity I highly recommend a weekend trip to Jeju to soak in all of the beauty.