Exploring Nami Island

Nina L.

This last Saturday, I participated in a CIEE-organized day trip to Nami Island! Located in the city of Chuncheon (about two hours away from Seoul), this destination is the perfect place for a day trip. After waking up bright and early, our group took a two hour bus ride and five minute ferry ride to the island. We then were led on an informative tour and served a delicious lunch before heading off on two and a half hours of free time. 

Once our free time began, my friends and I decided to explore the island by bike! We thought it would be fun to try tandem biking, and it ended up being a great way to get around and see the sights. We rented the bikes for an hour and circled the island, stopping to take pictures a few times. 

One of the most memorable photo opps was of the ostriches! Later on, we also made sure to take pictures amongst the beautiful autumn leaves. 

Although very fun, tandem biking is a little difficult at times, particularly if you happen to be in the front! If you’re looking for a simpler bike ride, try the individual bikes. 

After biking, we went souvenir shopping. There are several gift shops on the island, all of which seem to have a great selection of items available. You’ll definitely be able to find unique gifts for yourself and your loved ones at one of the stores. I wasn’t planning on buying anything, but ended up leaving with a cute notebook and a tapestry! 

Next we spent a few minutes looking for snacks! There are vendors selling foods such as soft serve ice cream, sausages, and hotteok (Korean sweet pancakes). I decided to have a red bean-filled steamed bun. It was delicious and affordable, at only 1,000 won! 

Our last stop of the day was the Forest Market– a picturesque crafts fair set up beneath the trees. There were so many beautiful and unique crafts for sale! A lot of the vendors only accept cash, so be sure to have some on hand if you visit the market. 

After this, we boarded the ferry and began the trip back to Seoul. It was such a beautiful and memorable fall day in Nami Island! If you have the chance to visit this special spot, definitely do so!