Eating the Dutch Way: 5 foods to Eat in Amsterdam

Josie S.

When was the last time someone told you that they went to a good Dutch restaurant? Unlike France and Italy, the Netherlands is less known for its food. After living in Amsterdam for three and half months I have gotten a better perspective on Dutch food and what people eat here. I realize the Dutch diet is plain and hearty, but of course you can get every type of food here from Sushi to a hamburger. I have to say that I do enjoy Dutch food and if you’re thinking of studying in Amsterdam I recommend trying these 5 foods. 

1. Poffertjes 

One of the tastier things I’ve had are Poffertjes. These are small pancakes smeared in white powdered sugar and butter. They are perfect to eat on a cold day if you’re feeling chilly. The best place to buy them is the Albert Cuyp Market. Located in the area of De Pijp, you can buy various types of poffertjes for about five euros. For the authentic taste, I recommend the powdered sugar, but other toppings include strawberries, Nutella etc. 

Photo for blog post Eating the Dutch Way: 5 foods to Eat in Amsterdam

2. Stamppot 

Nothing is more typically Dutch than Stamppot. What is it you may ask? Stamppot is a mixed dish of potatoes, vegetables and meat. These are popular staple foods of the Netherlands. The Dutch like their food mashed so if you find yourself in a Dutch home you're bound to see that they like to mix their food all together. The wonderful thing about Stamppot is that there are different types. One of the more common types is Potatoes, Kale and a type of sausage called Rookworst. I myself have tried at least two different types, some with a meatball and others with beets. It might not be for everyone, but it will fill you up on a cold winter’s day. 

Stamppot: With Rookworst, Kale & Gravy 

3. Hagelslag 

Who doesn’t like Sprinkles? Hagelslag is quite well known in the Netherlands and you can find it in any local supermarket. It’s a favorite from young children to adults and can be served as breakfast food or a snack. It’s basically just your average bread with butter on it and sprinkles on top. Similar to the foods I mentioned before, there's different types. In this case you can choose from a choice of flavors such as, chocolate, dark chocolate, vanilla and even a fruity type of sprinkles. 

4. Stroopwafels 

You can’t go wrong with a good Stroopwafel. It's one of the most famous sweets in the Netherlands. It's crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside. This delectable treat consists of two waffles with melted caramel in the middle. They’re available in small and large sizes. I recommend going to the Albert Cuyp Market if you want a large and fresh stroopwafel that's bigger than your own hand. 

5. Tom Pouce 

Tom Pouce is a beloved dessert not just in the Netherlands but also in Belgium. It has multiple layers, two of them being puff pastry. It also has a thick layer of custard/cream. It's topped off with a layer of pink icing, sometimes orange depending on the occasion and whipped cream. I’ve only had it once, but I found it very sweet and quite filling. My host mother brought it home one day for me to try and I surely recommend it if you're feeling hungry. If you're lucky enough to be in Amsterdam for Koningsdag, (Kings Day), then I hope you can go to your local bakery and try one out for yourself! 

Of course, there are many more Dutch foods that I could put on this list, but these are just some of my favorites. Maybe Dutch Food sounds appetizing or maybe it's just not your cup of tea, but it's worth a try even if your friends disagree. 

Eet Smakelijk! (Bon Appetit!) 

EXPLORE AMSTERDAM PROGRAMS