Dorming in Madrid

Open Campus Block

Fikir L.

I bet that one of the first questions you have about studying abroad is, “Where should I stay?” After all, if you’re participating in an Open Campus program, then you’ll be staying in this room for at least six weeks so it’s nice to know what you’re getting into. I cannot speak for everyone’s dorming experiences because there were various dorm buildings throughout the city – some better than in others, in terms of location, convenience, size, etc. My dorming experience was exceptional for the most part because I was living with one of my best friends, so keep that in mind too. That being said, please take everything I say with a grain of salt and do your own research before forming expectations! Now, let’s jump right in. 

City: Madrid 

Location: Residencia Universitaria Galdós 

My Rating: 8/10

My dorm was BEAUTIFUL. It had a minimal, clean look to it, as well as SO. MUCH. STORAGE. Seriously – such an efficient take on modern design. Included in the room was a private bathroom for me and my roommate, drawers, cabinets, and closet space, a workspace/desk for both of us, a mini-fridge, microwave, and huge windows with lots of natural lighting. We had custodians that came in every week to change our bed sheets and clean our room and bathroom. The only reasons for an 8/10 rating instead of a 10/10 would be the dorm’s food and location. The dorm offered food, however this cost is not included in your original payment, meaning you most likely have to frequently buy groceries/eat out. Let’s just say –  make sure you have enough pocket money in Madrid. (More on food and budgeting in Europe in a later post.) Additionally, Galdós was located in a suburb rather than in the city center, meaning not many places were walkable from my dorm. Fortunately, the nearest metro station was only an 8 minute walk, but you are slightly excluded from the excitement and buzz of living in the hub of Madrid (might be a good thing depending on your preferences). 

Breakdown: 

Pros:

• Beautiful design (spacious, storage, big windows and natural lighting)
  • Weekly cleaning service 
  • Culture immersion (local Spanish university students lived in the same building)
  • Close walk to metro station
  • Lots of nice study spaces, indoor gym 

Cons: 

• Distanced from busy hub of the city center 
  • Dorm’s meal plan not included in study abroad pricing 

I’d like to point out that apartments and homestays are two other options for housing, so I encourage you to look into those options/talk to alumni who have had those experiences if you’re interested! Next dorm review: Rome!