Destination: Dinan and Mont Saint Michel

CIEE Rennes

On a rainy Saturday morning, we got onto a bus looking forward for what was to come. Odds are that among the many places that come up in studying French, Mont Saint Michel is one of them. I had watched episodes of a travel show in my high school French class that showcased the abbey and the sandy bays of Mont Saint Michel, so I was very excited to finally see it in person.

The first stop of the day was to Dinan, a small town north of Rennes. We got off of the bus and were greeted by our guide with our umbrellas in hand. We walked through the streets of Dinan with our guide, learning about the buildings, monuments, churches, etc. Some of the wooden houses here date back to the late Middle Ages, so it was really interesting to see something that old.

After our tour of Dinan, we embarked for our next destination: the abbey. Upon our arrival, its shape was distinctly visible on the horizon. As we rode the trolley to the abbey the anticipation rose

The wind came on full force as we made our way through the open area toward the town gates. After a few moments’ respite, we continued on our way up the many steps to get to the abbey at the top of the hill. The hill actually has a town below the abbey, so we appreciated the winding streets during our ascent and descent. We climbed a few more steps once we got to the abbey to begin our tour. We went through many rooms of the abbey on our tour, but there were so many more passages and rooms not open to the public.

I kept thinking about how monks used to live here in what seemed like a labyrinth (and also about how it compares to the monastery in Ireland also dedicated to Saint Michael that is featured in Star Wars episodes VII and VIII).

It was great to see the abbey and the town below up close and to brave the weather on that cold, rainy day together as a group. It definitely was a bonding experience. One thing that we brought up was how crazy some people were for braving the chilly weather to go out into the bay around Mont Saint Michel.

It’s probably an amazing experience, but better suited for the summer. When I got home for the night, my host family shared their experience of Mont Saint Michel. We all agreed that it is a beautiful place and an even better experience when the weather cooperates.

Katie Maxa
St. Olaf College