Daytrip to Cadiz: The "tacita de plata" of the Atlantic Ocean

Sergio Jimenez

A few days ago, students got to travel to the magic ancient coastal city of Cadiz. Located less than 2 hours from Seville, Cadiz is well known for its vivid green water dotted with fishing boats, white buildings as far as the eye can see, skinny cobbled streets running from one side of the peninsula to the other, and a buzzy, local vibe with characterful tapas bars on street corners. Founded by the Phoenicians 3,000 years ago, Cadiz is one of the oldest cities in Western Europe. The Romans also settled there, building an impressive city (some of which is still in existence today!). Over the years it was one of Europe’s most important ports, with trading links to America. For somewhere relatively small, it really does have a fascinating past, and one you can really get under the skin of.

For those less interested in the past , there’s plenty more to this city. There are several beautiful beaches, including La Caleta right in the centre. There are wiggly narrow streets, beautiful tree-lined plazas, fountains, great restaurants and sensational views. While some of Spain’s larger cities are becoming more multi-cultural, Cadiz has retained a truly Spanish flavour. It’s one of those places where it feels like all the locals know each other, only walking a few paces before bumping into an old friend and catching up over a cerveza or a coffee. Tapas bars go back several generations, and despite some restaurants specialising in modern Spanish cuisine, there are still lots with menus virtually unchanged from 50 years ago.