Coex Aquarium

Shari S.

Coex Aquarium

CIEE's Seoul Mate program has been one of my favorite things since being here. My Seoul Mate group is the absolute sweetest- it's me and two other international students along with our Seoul Mate Yunbin. The first time I met Yunbin she made it very clear to us that she wasn't very confident in her English abilities- something she didn't need to worry about at all. With all the time we spent hanging out and getting to know each other, there ended up being nearly no issue with communication.

With the Seoul Mate program, we are to meet with our groups at least once a month and do an activity together. In October, my group decided to go to the Coex Aquarium! The Coex aquarium is strange, because it is literally underground in a mall. The Coex mall is absolutely GIANT and was incredibly overwhelming (it almost reminded me of The Back Rooms, if you know what that is). I wasn't sure what it would be like, and I was so pleasantly surprised. 

Although the aquarium didn't have any signifigantly large or exciting animlas- no sharks or dolphins- they had the most creative layout. Every room was themed in some way, with fish in the most random tanks. I saw a refrigerator, desk, bed, car, and much stranger things all converted into an aquarium tank. It was also almost a fun house, with a ton of wonky mirrors and fun places for taking pictures.